Beauty Tips and Tricks for New Moms
Becoming a mom changes everything, in great ways, and in some cases in ways that take a little more getting used to. As a beauty writer, my friends’ and family’s go-to source for beauty advice and recommendations and someone who prides herself on always putting her best face forward, the changes (or limits, really) that motherhood imposed on my beauty routine were not greeted warmly. Still, I adjusted to the new lifestyle and while I find it difficult to maintain my previous regimens and rituals, because you know, there’s a full-time job and a full-time baby, these few tips and tricks help me stay as on top of my beauty game as I can.
As a mom, you’ll be sleep deprived. And sleep deprivation gives you a puffy face. So drink up!
Master Your New Mom Makeup Routine
Challenging to say the least. I love makeup, and have been known to take up to 1.5 hours getting my entire. face on. I removed a lot of steps from my routine, and incorporated some new multipurpose or easy-to-use products that save time and can now do my face in about seven minutes.
– I cut foundation primer and began using a face oil instead. It functions as a moisturizer and is much more effective at setting makeup than moisturizer. Olive + M’s face oil is a favorite.
– I also cut eyeshadow primer and started using high-performing, creamy eyeshadow pencils or crayons for on-the-go application. These are some great options from Allure.
– I alternate between blush and bronzer as eyeshadow for a warm overall glow and to add just enough depth to my eyes.
– Pencil or crayon products are now my go-tos – from Trestique’s Define, Sculpt & Set Brow Pencil, to Wander’s Catch the Light Highlighter. They fit conveniently in a diaper bag and are great for applying on-the-go.
Invest in a Reliable Red Lipstick
I don’t remember the last time I looked in the mirror and saw refreshed, rested skin. Nothing brightens a sleepy, dull complexion like a bright red lipstick. Really, nothing. Plus, it has the added bonus of a confidence boost. My favorite is Tom Ford’s Ruby Rush.
Fake Fuller Hair with Mascara
That you’ll shed hair postpartum is no myth.Three months after having my son, my hair started falling out in handfuls due to hormonal changes. This was one of the most difficult changes for me, because my hairline was noticeably scarce – many tears were shed. One day I took my mascara wand to my hairline and while it didn’t change the fact that my hair was still shedding in alarming amounts, it did help ease my insecurity about it.
You’ll need the you-time and you’ll be washing what feels like hundreds of bottles (and bottle parts) and changing a million diapers. Conventional nail polish just won’t cut it during early motherhood. Schedule regular gel manicures and you’ll feel just a bit more pulled together when you need it most.
Clean Hair, Fast
I can’t stress this enough. The sad truth is that as a mom, you’ll wash your hair even less and have less time to style it. I always have a bottle of Batiste Dry Shampoo on hand. I have also mastered backcombing because with all the loss of hair and less time to wash/style, the situation can get pretty flat. Backcombing adds life and volume.
Use Your Pumping Sessions Wisely
Two words: Face. Masks. A 20-minute session with your Medela (your new BFF) is the perfect amount of time to get in a sheet mask or any other type of mask. Remember to ensure your masks are safe for nursing mothers, relax and (try to) enjoy the moment.
Baby Skincare Products Make Great Mom Skincare Products
Oliver and I share all the CeraVe, Babyganics and California Baby skincare products. All his lotions and pomades are ultra-hydrating, gentle and very safe. One I’ve used on myself for everything including chapped lips is Babyganics Soothing Protective Ointment.
- TODAY SHOW: REDBOOK MAGAZINE’S REAL WOMEN STYLE AWARDS
- TODAY SHOW: LUXE FOR LESS – MIXING PRINTS
- TODAY SHOW: LUXE FOR LESS – JUMPSUITS
- TODAY SHOW: FLYING WITH THE US AIR FORCE THUNDERBIRDS
- TODAY SHOW: LUXE FOR LESS – POP OF COLOR
- TODAY SHOW: LUXE FOR LESS – WATER FUN
- TODAY SHOW: COLOURPOP
- TODAY SHOW: LUXE FOR LESS – SHADES OF YELLOW